Friday, April 8, 2011

15-minute fajitas. Yeah, you heard me




I forced myself back in to the kitchen after a three-week hiatus. And turns out my stove and I had missed each other.

I think I have made my distain for fast food dinners clear. And it isn't that I am a snob, although I am, it is just so impersonal and it gets expensive. I am a broke newspaper journalist and my husband makes maps for a living, let's face it, these are dying careers and we can't be throwing out money though a drive through window.

So, two chicken breasts, two small onions and two bell peppers and you have 15-minute fajitas and they are relatively inexpensive.

Heat olive oil in pan over a medium heat. Chop two small onions and two medium belled peppers. Chop the thawed chicken to bite sized. I have been growing some oregano on my porch so I chopped some up to flavor the oil. But you can use any of your favorite dried spices.

Put the onions in the oil first so that they are not overly crunchy. Then put the pepper and chicken in to the pan and turn up the heat. If you have some cajun seasoning sprinkle it over the chicken. If not, no biggie.

As a bonus I made a simple salsa. It was just one can of diced tomatoes with lime and chilies. I diced one small onion and threw in a little garlic salt.

Set out some tortillas or for a high fiber option Flat-Out wraps, sour cream, avacado, salsa and cheese and voila.



No comments:

Post a Comment