Friday, March 25, 2011

Stop and smell the grilled cheese




Lydia here,
Wow. Life is changing pretty fast, isn't it? It seems like just a few weeks ago that I started a new job at the daily. But I was counting it in my head earlier, and it has been eight months. Eight months since I awkwardly took my new desk and met a girl named Sarah who gracefully took a seat at my old desk.

Now Sarah is leaving. It all just happened so swiftly. That is how life works though. It moves so rapidly that we watch it breeze by. Sometimes I just have to back up, take three deep breaths and slow down. Today I did that by eating with friends, including Sarah, at one of my favorite restaurants.

Each time I go I order the same thing, a simple grilled cheese sandwich, and the best looking side on the menu. I realize I can make a grilled cheese at home, but something about eating it at Bowman's makes me feel like my daddy made it. I feel cozy and safe and warm.

I think that is what a meal shared with friends is supposed to do. We are supposed to connect through shared experiences and stories and our mutual love and respect for one another.

1 comment:

  1. ...and our mutual love for grilled cheeses. I would like to note that Sarah not only got a grilled cheese, but also macaroni and cheese. Yep, she did.

    ReplyDelete