Thursday, June 30, 2011

A summer's peach crisp


I love all of the fresh produce that comes with the warmer months. Peaches, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries - you get the picture. Anyways, every time I go into our fresh market I go a little crazy. I always buy bags of fresh produce (with the best of intentions of using all of it the very next day), but needless to say, it wilts before I can get to my well-intentioned recipes. So as the five peaches I bought last Wednesday slowly turned to prunes in our produce bin, I scrambled for an easy recipe to make with all of them. I thought about peach cupcakes until a friend mentioned a peach crisp. What a simple and summery solution. Using a few of my friend's instructions added to a recipe I found on AllRecipes.com, I made a delicious peach crisp.


I will now have to eat this peach crisp alone given that the husband has been out of town since last Sunday. I get to pick him up tomorrow night though and hopefully I can find something to do with all the other souring produce in our house - like those brown bananas. I do love banana bread.


Summer peach crisp
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1 1/2 tblsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tblsp. unsalted butter
  • 2 1/2 cups (5 medium peaches) sliced, peeled, pitted fresh peaches
  • 1 tblsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg 

1. Peel, pit and slice peaches. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine oats, flour, sugar and cut in butter. 
3. Place peaches in a baking dish, sprinkle with one tablespoon flour and put oat mixture on top. 
4. Sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon and bake for 30 minutes. Eat immediately with homemade vanilla ice cream or with a fresh cup'a Joe. It's incredible - I'm serious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment