Thursday, May 19, 2011

A French loaf fit for a king


Ok, so I love to make bread. I ADORE my bread maker, but this time I decided to make a french loaf by hand. Not only have I never made this type of bread before, I haven't made anything that has to "rise" up here yet. This recipe could not have turned out more perfectly. This bread was like a gift from God. Ask my husband. It was wonderful and it only took like 25 minutes of prep time.

Here's the most amazing recipe on the planet:
(I adapted it from a Spark's recipe for whole wheat french bread, but this time I wanted nothing but white, fattening flour.)
Heavenly French loaf
*1 1/4 cup warm water
*1.5 tbsp. sugar
*1 tbsp. yeast
*3 c. flour (Can do half white/wheat)
*1/2 tbsp. salt
*2.5 tbs olive oil

*Combine warm water, sugar and yeast in a large bowl and let set for 5 minutes. Add salt, oil and 1 1/2 cup flour. Beat together well, then add remaining flour and stir well.
*Leave spoon in the middle of the batter and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Stir and let rest for 10 minutes again (repeating 5 more times).
* Turn dough onto floured counter and knead 2-3 times to coat with flour.
*Roll dough flat into a rectangle and roll into a loaf shape. Put on large, greased baking sheet and let rise for 30 minutes (or however long you want to before you bake it.)
*Slash top of bread, brush with egg and bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until SLIGHTLY browned.

This bread was amazing without butter (which is saying alot for me) and it was good 2-3 days after baking. It's just wonderful. Make it and you'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment