Friday, June 10, 2011

Whole wheat roasted pepper and cream cheese pizza


Ok, so I am now counting anything/everything that comes out of my oven as baking. No, it doesn't have a tub of butter or a bucket of sugar, but homemade pizza must technically be baked - let's just say I use the term "baking" loosely. This was my second attempt at mile high pizza dough, and this recipe was much lighter and airier than the last. It's a keeper for sure. This pizza was divine. Let's face it, anytime you put cream cheese on a pizza, it is incredible. Thank you Big Pie in the Sky and Lydia for introducing me to this experience I was missing out on. Just trust me on this one, go to your kitchen, get out these ingredients and make this pizza.



Your first challenge is to roast the peppers. Let's be real - it sounds more intimidating than it actually is. I roasted three peppers, one red, one yellow and one orange, but I only used about 1/2 of the peppers on the actual pizza.

Roasted peppers:
(I roasted the peppers while I did everything else for the pizza.)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Clean the peppers under water and place on tin foil covered baking sheet.
3. Bake for 45 minutes to one hour, rotating with tongs or a fork every 15 minutes.
4. Remove from oven, cover with foil to steam the skins and let cool enough to handle. Remove skins and cut into strips.

Whole wheat pizza dough
(I adapted this recipe from a user submission on Spark's recipes iPhone app)

  • 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour

  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour

  • 3/4 tbsp. instant active yeast

  • 3/4 cup warm water

  • 1 tbsp. olive oil

    1. Keep oven at 400 degrees.
    2. Mix flour, salt and yeast in a bowl and form a well in the center.
    3. Combine water and oil and pour into well. Mix into flour mixture with a spoon or your hands. Add enough flour to make the dough soft, not sticky. (I forgot to do this and the pizza stuck to my pizza stone.) Cover with olive oil and herbs.
    3. Cover and let rise until ready to use. Punch down and roll into a pizza shape. Add toppings - I used mozzarella, Roma tomatoes and some tomato sauce.
    4. Bake for 20 minutes.

    Take out and enjoy. Trust me, life changing.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment